Feb 05 Estimator
Construction - Dallas, TX
The ability to complete a wide variety of difficult and complex estimating activities for medium to large size projects. Reviews contract documents from Conceptual Design to a Permit Set of documents. Provides hands-on estimating support to Project Teams by developing conceptual estimates, material take-offs, bid tabulations, created scope of work for contractor pricing validation for projects. The Estimator at this level utilizes his/her broad experience, expertise, and exposure to various types of projects and clients. Regularly exercises his/her familiarity of company and project practices and procedures. The Project Estimator will report to the Vice President of Operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reading plans and specifications to verify all scope is included in assigned estimates.
- Perform accurate quantity takeoffs for all types of construction systems and materials.
- Coordinate and organize Invitations to Bid requesting Subcontractor proposals by using iSqFt software.
- Participate in strategy meeting with the Preconstruction Department.
- Conduct project estimating/progress meetings.
- Attend project Pre-Bid meeting and site walks.
- Coordinate site visits with Subcontractors and others, as required.
- Prepare detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems.
- Review contractual documents to determine scope of work and scope changes.
- Lead the evaluation of subcontractor proposals relative to their scope of work. Determine scope coverage and manage risk of scope gaps
- Prepare detailed cost estimates using DESTINI Estimating and On-Screen Takeoff software’s.
- Assist Project Managers with the analysis of Subcontractors during transition from Preconstruction to Operations/Construction.
- Assist with maintenance of new Subcontractors and vendors bid list.
- Assist with maintenance of minority subcontractors and vendors bid list.
- Review project cost reports to update cost database to compare costs with actual costs of work.
- Ability to interact with designers and construction personnel to accurately develop estimates.
- Maintain awareness of new industry processes and systems related to project estimating and recommend appropriate changes.
- Maintain the historical estimating database for, ensuring up-to-date pricing data.
- Participates in lessons learned sessions on all assigned projects to review estimating issues.
- Evaluates technical and statistical data, analyzes and interprets results, and prepares various reports.
- Assumes full accountability of project estimate vs actual performance.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and to work with a reasonable level of supervision.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Must be proficient in the use and application of Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Assists preconstruction manager with preparation of schedules for estimate preparation, review, and publication.
- Participate in meetings with the client as required.
- Performs work in a safe manner and actively encourage others to comply with safety rules and regulations, including wearing of personal protective devices.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to read/understand construction drawings and documents.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients and/or employees.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to make decisions independently regarding estimating complexities and practices in individual field.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Engineering, Architecture, Building Construction from a four-year college or university; two to five years extensive take-off and pricing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience as a Project or Field Engineer desirable.
- 4-year degree in Engineering or Construction Management or related field.
- 2 – 5 years of analytical construction estimating experience
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, knowledge of project procedures and practices, and a working knowledge of typical project controls/estimating software’s are required.
- Must have a clear understanding of, and ability to work with, engineering drawings and specifications.
- Experience using a variety of estimating tools, RS means, CSI format, etc.
- Possess the ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple assignments and tasks for one or more projects.
- Attention to detail. Everything from the estimates, units’ costs, bid scope sheets and proposals must be accurate
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.